Friday, June 1, 2012

Baby Love

At first we were very resentful. The first 3.5 years were spent in fear of The Yell. The Yell would come from either the Man or Lady, at random times when we least suspected it. (I think they were afraid for the Puppy's safety, since apparently this breed doesn’t have any teeth or claws or walking instinct.) So naturally anytime we tried to play with her, They completely freaked out. Caesar was more curious, so he usually got The Yell more than I did. I just lay around moping and minded my own business. Then the Humans tried some sort of initiation routine with me, wondering why I was so aloof: they laid the Puppy right down next to me on several occasions, hoping that we would bond over dog biscuits or something. It didn't work...I streaked out of the room. The Puppy weirded me out, with all that flailing and high pictched yelping!

Here are a few rare moments when I visited the Puppy of my own accord







 

You can guess what us dogs have to put up with, although we don't really mind
 







But gradually the Puppy quieted down and started moving around, and the Humans built up a tolerance for us playing with the Puppy and they even started to force the dominance issue. (They thought that if they laid the Puppy on top of us, this would establish her at the height of our pack.)

Here Caesar is being dominated.


After a few Canine years of the Puppy failing to grow into a romping ball of fur, Caesar and I began to realize that this small thing was actually just a juvenile Human on a different timeline, so from now on we will refer to her as The Girl. Now it all makes sense, and we have accepted the Girl into our family. She does actually join us now at our food bowls, although we prefer to join her at hers. As for the poop contraption, there is no sign of that thing coming off any time soon, so Caesar and I just content ourselves knowing that someday the Girl will discover how to remove it and thus the Man and Lady will be resigned to let her join us out back.


Here, Caesar is taking his role of big brother quite seriously.

 

We can handle dry kibble as long as we get plenty of Girl treats.









The Girl is a lot of fun now that she is over a year old in Human time. She likes to plop down on my bed and wallow around in my fur the same way I favor a nice stinky dead pigeon. She has also learned to compensate for the lack of a licking-tongue by giving Caesar and I big love-bites on our noses. Although we despise it when she sticks her fingers right up our nostrils, we are overall delighted with her and can't wait until she grows into those hind legs and can chase us.


Now that I have that out of the way, Caesar and I will catch you up on our daily happenings in Doggiedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment